Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dainty Details - And the Award Goes To...

The mini calla lily! I am in love with this flower. When I was looking for flowers for my own bridal bouquet, I stumbled upon bunches of these at my Trader Joe's. It was love at first sight. They are extremely easy to work with and since I was making my own bouquet…the simpler, the better. With their long, slender stems, lack of thorns and leaves, colorful blooms and ombré-like quality…I knew I had found “the one”.


I love how architectural mini calla lilies are. They are the perfect combination of feminine and pretty, without being too frou-frou (yep, that’s an adjective in my world). This makes them great for bouquets because they stand straight, don’t have much of a fragrant quality, and you don’t have to worry about any pollen or stamen staining your dress (it’s pretty tucked in there). Plus, they are sturdy. Petals tend not to shed, and they don't easily wilt.


Here are some facts: Mini calla lilies come in white, lavender, purple, pink, red, peach, orange, yellow, green and can even be dyed. They are available year-round, don’t cost an arm and a leg, and last for about 4-8 days.








They even work for an elegant yet masculine boutonniere! The first photo is my Maid of Honor with flowers I purchased at Trader Joe's, the other photos are from a wedding I designed and planned in October of 2010. The bride wanted a very natural, lush and organic feel for her plum colored florals. I LOVE the effect of the berries and branches and I think the mini callas are simply stunning!


xoxo

Christy


Photo sources: Photo by Shaughn Crawford, Florals by Christy, Photo by Nicole Goddard with flowers by Anne Mendenhall, Photo by Trisha Dean flowers by Anne Mendenhall

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails